Advice please

Bought something new. Got a gadget we all want. Put the details up here so we can all take the piss.
David14

Advice please

Post by David14 » Wed May 24, 2017 6:04 pm

Ok, so I've decided to commute into London with the regular chaps but I need some advice on the best bike to use.

Steel frame to survive the roads, I suppose
Single speed seems to be de rigeur
Disk brakes for those winter mornings - mudguards too

Any recommendations/ other advice on what to get/ not to get

Thanks
New Old Dave

NikH

Re: Advice please

Post by NikH » Wed May 24, 2017 7:51 pm

Dave

Wouldn't overthink it. Any bike that you use to get to work is a good bike - better than the train anyway...

The roads aren't that bad so wouldn't worry too much about a particular frame material. Any should be fine.

Single speed - good for lower maintenance and the commute is pretty flat so you don't really need gears. Can be a lot more faff if you get a puncture though as they're generally not quick release wheels and you will need to adjust the chain tension reasonably often. Bit more work to get started at traffic lights etc too, but then gears get mucky and need more looking after.

Discs - yep good - I generally prefer them, especially in the wet as you don't have to dry the rim off before you get braking and your rims won't wear out. You might struggle to get them on a single speed though -very few do them due to the need to move the rear wheel to tension the chain properly. Think Mark G has one though - Genesis frame.

Mudguards - yep always handy - you can get some pretty sleek full ones now and once fitted should be zero maintenance.

Other than all that I'd go for 28mm roads tyres and something with a bit of puncture protection. Wouldn't go full Schwalbe Marathon + though -renowned as being bomb proof but will be bloody heavy and hard to get spinning. Continental 4 Seasons a popular option, although expensive. Think I've got Schwalbe Duranos on my winter bike - about £20 each and seem to do a good job.

Whatever you do use will be a compromise in some way. Personally I've got a steel gas pipe framed full mudguard single that gets used in winter - largely as I don't care how bad it looks. Rest of the year is a cyclocross with road tyres and a SRAM 1x11 gear set up - just rear gears so I get some flexibility but less to look after.

Enjoy the search and make use of work cycle to work scheme if you have one!

David14

Post by David14 » Wed May 24, 2017 9:18 pm

Really helpful, Nik
Many thanks

Tim13

Post by Tim13 » Wed May 24, 2017 9:23 pm

Don't get carried away by the sun making an appearance this week!
Mudguards are a must
Disk breaks yes
For me gears have been working well for some time now and I see no strong arguement for reverting to a rabbit wheel. The added advantage is that you get a spare bike for the weekend. Try taking a single speed out on Saturday if you have a problem with your normal bike!
If you really want to treat your self for all of the work your putting it at present I would convert your existing bike into your commute vechile (it's a robust frame, mudguards and disk breaks all ready offered) and treat yourself to a new summer bike for the weekends!

Options, options

Tim

bestd
Twitter: @BertieLandrover

Post by bestd » Thu May 25, 2017 8:53 pm

Just needs to change colour at 21 degrees

wazza

Post by wazza » Fri May 26, 2017 12:43 pm

Dave, Echo the single speed option. Mike, Peter & I all have Langster free wheel from 2012/13 time and recommend it as a low maintenance, reliable, sturdy and cheapish option for pan flat commute. Only downside would be no disc brakes.

Latest Langster....

https://www.evanscycles.com/specialized ... swodYsMJaw

Happy bike purchasing !

David14

Post by David14 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:02 pm

Many thanks for all the useful tips.
I had considered all your input and I was on the verge of a reasoned decision when I accidentally found myself in a bike shop with my credit card. I'm not sure quite what happened next. Anyway, I'll be commuting on the Cannondale.

MarkG
Site Admin
Twitter: @markgarnish

Post by MarkG » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:34 pm

See you at 6:15 tomorrow then!

David14

Post by David14 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:51 pm

Friday is probably my first day in town - so 6.15 it is

NikH