Disc Brakes

Bought something new. Got a gadget we all want. Put the details up here so we can all take the piss.
Miker

Disc Brakes

Post by Miker » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:46 pm

Hi all

Am researching new commuting bike and disc brakes. I have no idea about them and research is confusing.

I have found a bike with Promax DSK 300 disk brakes has anyone heard of them are they any good or can anyone recommend what I should be looking for in disc brakes.

Thanks in advance Mike

NikH

Re: Disc Brakes

Post by NikH » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:32 pm

Hi Mike

I can't comment on those particular brakes, but in my limited experience you've a choice between hydraulic or cable type discs.

Hydraulic generally seen as superior - once set up they require less faffing and maintenance, the pads push in from both sides and self centre, and they have better feel than cable discs.

Cable type - cheaper, but have one static pad and only one that moves (usually), so require more set up and more constant maintenance, and they don't self centre onto the disc. Not as much "feel" as hydraulics.

I've had both types on road / cx bikes and once each are set up they work well, especially in wet weather - no rim to dry off first and your rims also don't wear. Cable type definitely need more maintenance. If you go down this route, I'd look our for Avid BB7's - acknowledged as being very good, and they're fairly easy to set up and keep well adjusted.

I've currently got SRAM hydraulics on my CX / commuter and they're excellent. No day to day faff needed - just replace pads as and when required.

This help?!

Miker

Post by Miker » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:13 am

Thanks Nik, perfect

What a comprehensive reply, take a Gold star

NikH

Post by NikH » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:07 pm

Always happy to help Mike ;)

As a follow up, you might also come across TRP hy/rd disc brakes. They're cable actuated but have a very small hydraulic reservoir within each brake that enables the actual pads. See here: https://www.trpbrakes.com/category.php? ... &catid=206.

They're a sort of half way house between cheaper cables and more expensive full hydraulic systems. Think they add a lot more weight though and I've no experience of them.

Given Shimano and SRAM both now produce full drop bar hydraulic systems, I'd still say this is the way to go - budget allowing of course. FYI with Shimano you can now get a full hydraulic set up from their 105 groupset and above.

N