Gently Bentley Audax - 15th March 2020

If you organised a ride, or agreed to write a report on it please take a few moments to write a brief (or long) report,

We can then take our time to correct your memory of events and correct your grammar.
bestd
Twitter: @BertieLandrover

Gently Bentley Audax - 15th March 2020

Post by bestd » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:28 pm

I met Mark G, Barry T and Stu B at Surbiton Tennis Club at 7 am for a lovely breakfast laid on at Audax start by the Kingston Wheelers. After sign-in and some pastries we set-off on our own out to Henley (7.30 am). Seemed to be about ~100 riders out?

I felt a little left out as I did not have a beard (seems essential for Audax riders). Stu was unable to purchase tongue from shops to had to settle for tuna and salad cream sandwiches. I went for malt loaf, butter and marmite. Mark was obviously planning on setting up a half way stop shop as he had endless gels, drink supplements etc. We even thought he may have had some lego. Barry had hand sanitizer and endless bar bags.

As we came across Kingston bridge we got a good idea of what was to come - the headwind was a killer and it was hard going. We had a good two hour trip out to Henley taking it steady with some excellent group riding (yes I know I really did type that!) After a cuppa at the Chocolate Cafe in Henley we set-off to Reading and beyond. At this stage it started to spit with rain (and wind was still extremely hard head on). A long trip out for an excellent lunch at a Glider Airport base (three baked potatoes and one cottage pie).

We left post lunch in the absolute hissing rain (86 miles in at this stage) out for the final leg. Rode round south of Guildford and met with even more heavy rain (absolute cats and dogs) before what felt a long final leg in.

We dropped Barry off en route back (close to his house) and the remaining three rolled into the Tennis Club at 5.30pm. I left Mark and Stu with a beer in the clubhouse as I rushed back for a work coronavirus call.

Even though it was tough with wind, rain and distance we cycled as a four all the way and great team riding meant we all had arrived back in pretty good shape considering the distance. Met some nice people en route, it appears that people with beards are nice after all.

Stats
- Full on winter bikes except for Stu who had his summer steed
- Distance 130.32 miles
- Elevation - 5,236 ft
- Move time - 9 hours 5 mins and 30 seconds
- Average speed - 14.3 mph

Mechanicals
- No small ring for Bertie
- No punctures
- Barry may have had to change his forks (we were unsure as he took so long to finish his 'comfort break')

HiFry23

Re: Gently Bentley Audax - 15th March 2020

Post by HiFry23 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:32 pm

Well done. I saw lots of cyclists over the road from my self isolation - looked like the average age was 60+ judging by the grey hair, beards and selection of mud guarded, saddle bagged, touring bikes

bestd
Twitter: @BertieLandrover

Post by bestd » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:25 pm

Audax = get on the heaviest bike you can find, put on as many saddles as you can, grow a super scraggy beard and you are set

MarkG
Site Admin
Twitter: @markgarnish

Post by MarkG » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:17 pm

Great ride report and broadly correct although you missed out the part where the three of you had to drag me around.

Thanks for organising (I think).