Saturday 5th January 2019

If you organised a ride, or agreed to write a report on it please take a few moments to write a brief (or long) report,

We can then take our time to correct your memory of events and correct your grammar.
bestd
Twitter: @BertieLandrover

Saturday 5th January 2019

Post by bestd » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:52 am

Ride Summary - Later meet at 7.45 am given weather and shorter ride. Eleven riders out.

Not quite as cold as yesterday at meet - just above freezing but cold enough for plenty of layers. Dry roads so decent riding conditions.

Left 7.50 am on target and off to Long Ditton, Hinchley Wood, Back of Esher, Oxshott, Leatherhead, towards Box but off to Slade slope, down into skirt Dorking and back past Box yet again to go up Juniper to return home via Epsom on usual return leg. Coffees at Waggs and Tails.

Riders out - Nik H, Sir John, Mark G (did well as felt under weather today), Gareth, Stu (no music :( ), Andy, Chris F, Mike (one speed Riley), Wozza, Geoff (a little cramp post coffee!) & DB

Mechanicals - Sir John had not warned his conservative party colleagues that he was going to have a puncture so had to repair one on his own and had three goes at sorting so had touch ride home on very flat tyre but gladly got back in time to do some flyer work for the blues later in the day. Everybody got extremely cold waiting but happy to help a colleague in distress (just as Theresa needs help so does Sir John). I am sure I heard him say as he re-started 'Edwina, Edwina, where are you my darling in my hour of need'

Group riding report - To be honest it was better but still some work to do. Green card (good) for Wozza for excellent ride lead looking around when on front, Red card (bad) for Stu for never looking around on front, Double Red for Mike for bombing off post Juniper leaving colleagues in the wake all over Surrey. Some read red cards for not keeping up at the back (just as important as leading). So better but still some more work to do. Well done - B+

Kit Report - A complaint about Wozza looking like a 1980's fitness instructor was taken during the route. I did explain that he has a club foot issue and this is why he wears his daughters ski socks but the question back was what about the leg warmers? A felt a little harsh but what can you expect from a Kiwi? Nik H bottled wearing the dayglo top and went for pure black - sensible choice! Sir John had an absolute shocker wearing completely clashing clothing. He seemed to wear his summer bike gear with his winter bike - a trip to Sigma required immediately to sort. Rest was very acceptable but I am sure there may be some comments.......

StuB

Re: Saturday 5th January 2019

Post by StuB » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:36 pm

Great ride thanks , next time I’ll remember the matches and lighter fuel so we can get a camp fire going next time we have a mechanical at subzero temperatures. Interesting conversation as ever,the highlight being I learnt that andy played football this week with an ex pro who enjoyed placing di&dos up his backside, shouldn’t really be surprised.

David14

Post by David14 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:00 pm

An enjoyable (mostly) return to the saddle. Thanks for organising and for buying the coffees, mr B.

As I seem to be mentioned a fair amount in the ride leader’s reportage, maybe I should add some comments.
The god of puncture repair was not smiling on me today.
The multiple puncture episode was a curious one. Both Warwick and I got a puncture at the same time, which was weird by itself. His was a proper man’s puncture, mine was an air leak which left me with a squashy but not flat tyre - akin to a squeaky wet fart rather than a loud satisfying one.
Despite employing the correct technique, I - and my more charitable colleagues - could not find the offending item in the tyre. Even after Gareth had taken 300 cwt of broken glass out of the tyre, any tube that went in, went squashy pretty quickly.
Indeed three attempts were made - all with similar results. So squashy it was on the way home.

But every cloud has a silver lining. And whilst everyone else was getting cold, young quinquagenarian Dave displayed a borderline-suspicious bike pump action. His recommendation that we find the leak by pumping the inner tube up like a child’s balloon animal was inspired, but sadly unsuccessful. Others helped with constructive comments from the sideline.

Anyway, despite feeling bad for delaying everyone so long, the ride leader would not let me buy the coffees as recompense. What a kind chap.

Regarding clothing, yes fair cop. I went to sigma as instructed this afternoon but the price tags made me feel faint, so I just bought an inner tube and left.

See you next week

wazza

Post by wazza » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:17 pm

Great to get out with probably a record number for this time of year. An enjoyable ride with a difference apart from the cold. Thanks very much for leading and getting the coffees in DB. I’m leading next Saturday and will post mid week.

For those interested my daughter’s purple ski socks provided additional protection to my ‘hammer toe’ condition. Required with snug footwear like cycling shoes.
Medical note provided as up and coming operation to rectify rather than poor dress sense. See definition.

https://www.healthline.com/health/hammer-toe

Wazza

HiFry23

Post by HiFry23 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:37 pm

Great ride though 20-30 turned into 36 miles on my clock and no hills turned into a few... thanks for coffee and I tried to keep in line, and observe from the back, as I'd forgotten any money.
Dave try Sport Pursuit for top kit at discounted prices https://www.sportpursuit.com/clothing/j ... ycling&p=2 can recommend although sometimes you have to wait a bit.

NikH

Post by NikH » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:16 pm

Well apparently there were only 10 riders out and I’m not mentioned in the list of attendees so couldn’t have been there. Still, David M clearly protests too much about the tyre change debarcle and is clearly more worthy of the mechanic’s trophy than I, so I will bring it along next week to hand it over.

Top ride and thanks David B for the coffee, despite the fact I wasn’t actually there to enjoy either.

See you all next week.

bestd
Twitter: @BertieLandrover

Post by bestd » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:02 am

Nik - Apologies for the error, put you in my clothing commentary as was very disappointed no dayglo but was sure had numbers right because we bought 9 coffees and I know Andy went home - obviously someone else did also! Senior quinquagenarian moment for which I ask your forgiveness! (Report corrected) For those interested please see attached as I interviewed Nik about this yesterday dresssed up at G Norton - https://www.facebook.com/BBCOne/videos/302907370300897/)

Sir John - I can a few options for your Sigma Problem;
1 - There is BCC credit available to help you through the Xmas spending (APR 76%)
2 - Take advice of the attached https://about.futurelearn.com/blog/10-c ... nding-tips
3 - Sell the bread van
4 - Invest in an old Moulton and and old Tandem in the hope they will go up in value - happy to introduce you to the owner if helpful

If there are any other pieces of advice forum members could offer Sir John I am sure he would be delighted to hear........

NikH

Post by NikH » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:54 pm

:roll:

Miker

Post by Miker » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:48 pm

Dave

Thank you very much for the coffee. I must consider myself lucky since you gave me a double red. great to get out

Went to oxshot woods this morning to wear the boys out positively mild compared to yesterday

have a good week all